Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pun on the title of the show and its confusing storylines

Okay, you know it. LOST time. The more I think about it, the more I’m into. Yeah, there were barely any answers. Why was Walt special? Why did Claire need to raise Aaron? How did all that electromagnetic energy stuff work? Dharma? Others? Still not sure I know it all. But the more I’m thinking about it, the more it doesn’t matter.


As much as we like to argue with this truth, Lost was never about the mysteries, the plot twists, the answers. Yes, that was all fascinating and fun and enjoyable. But art is never about plot, it is a subtle character study meant to relate to the viewer, causing us to confront questions within ourselves. Art should challenge our own perceptions of the world, make us think, and be beautiful as hell. I’d say, Lost did it. Yes, with a little complex (i.e. vague), spiritual, semi-intelligent but mostly non-sensical whatever, but still good at the end of the day.


My interpretation of the end: all of the alternate reality was Jack’s (and only Jack’s, I think) “ending” (it only ends once) or afterlife or heaven or what-have-you. He had to create this to be able to let go or say goodbye. This explains why certain people were missing (Miles, Lapidus) and why everyone looked the same as they did when Jack died. Also, this explains certain dialogue (Christian’s “Some died before you, some after” and Kate’s “I’ve missed you” meaning, she’s missed him since she’s been alive years after he’s died). The brilliance of it sinks in the more I think about. Really, I just wanted them all to sit down and then Walt walks in, sort of glowing, and we find out: he was controlling everything all along! That would have been awesome and creepy.


In the end, the finale was enjoyable. And it was challenging. So, I’m a supporter. Now, I’m just excited for the wacky Lost spinoff, The Island: The Lost Years of Ben and Hurley. I mean, Hurley said to Ben, “You were a great number two.” My interpretation? Even though we don’t see it, the two spend years (hundreds, maybe thousands) taking care of the island. Now that’s what I want to see! It’s Odd Couple-esque, with silly fights over Dharma rations and the two reminiscing about the good old days. “Ben, remember when you killed Locke? And Juliet hated you? And you pretended to be Henry Gale and fooled us all? That was awesome!” “And Hurley, remember that time you never lost weight and everyone made fun of you? And Kate, Sawyer, and Jack could never quite figure it out? I wish I could have been there for the golf course... maybe we can rebuild it.” It’ll be the best spinoff since Joey.


For reals, Lost provided us with six great years of television. Engaging, intriguing, challenging while still being funny and adventure packed. Truthfully, television at its best. The theological and philosophical stuff might have fallen flat at times, but Lost has broken an important barrier. It was a cultural phenomena that made people take notice, proposing that, yeah, television is art. I will always support that.

No comments:

Post a Comment